[Obm] LDAP Server Roles?

Erwan Queffélec equeffelec at linagora.com
Fri Dec 6 17:29:06 CET 2013

BonjourFabien,

Wehave both a mandatory relational database (one should use postgresql)
and anoptional integrated LDAP server(openldap).

The process is : the database acts as the "master" data storage, and a
subset of its data istranslated and loaded into the OBM LDAP server.

OBMmust be able to reconstruct this internal LDAPusing only the data
stored within the relational database. Bottom line, theOBM LDAP server
can be viewed a read-only component (at least I strongly advise using
itas such)

There are a lot of stuff you can do with OBM using the internal LDAP or
an external directory,butreplacing the OBM relational database simply
isn't one of them.

What exactly are you trying to achieve ?

Regards,

Erwan

PS : on the technical side, the internal LDAP provisioning process is
ruled by a small perl program called the automate(automaton), also
called the obm-service package. Long terms plan are to obsolete this
package and let our main java component(obm-sync) do the job, and
exposinga RESTful provisioning APIcapable of creating OBM entities
(users,etc) simulaneously on IMAP, SMTP and LDAP backends.This
provisioning API can be fed using a"master", externalLDAP server. Our
upcoming 2.6 release will provide a large part of this API, though it
will still require the automaton for several tasks (creation of users
throughthe web UI)