[Obm] Cyrus Authentication

François Bachelier info at ihes.fr
Fri Jan 7 14:42:05 CET 2011

Hello all,

   I'm François Bachelier head of the IT service of IHES  a  mathematics
and physics research institute near paris.
We are currently migrating under OBM.
My first question to the list is about OBM/Cyrus  Authentication.

by default we need to use login at domain as username for our mail clients
configuration, this is quite annoying for us, as we will have to
reconfigure all the mail clients after we switch to OBM cyrus mail server.

I saw that cyrus could be configured to use only the login and get the
domain name hard coded in the configuration, but i failed to make it works

actualy our imapd.conf looks like this :

virtdomains: userid
#defaultdomain:
# Enable virtual domain support.  If enabled, the user's domain will
# be determined by splitting a fully qualified userid at the last '@'
# or '%' symbol.  If the userid is unqualified, and the virtdomains
# option is set to "on", then the domain will be determined by doing
# a reverse lookup on the IP address of the incoming network
# interface, otherwise the user is assumed to be in the default
# domain (if set).

i tried to put defaultdomain: mydomain
i tried also virtdomains : off / on

but nothing seems to work.