[Obm] Storage type for big system

Paweł Tęcza ptecza at uw.edu.pl
Mon Jun 7 10:29:04 CEST 2010

Anthony Prades pisze:
> Paweł Tęcza wrote:

>> Hi Pierre,
>>
>> Thank you very much for your response!
>>
>> Do you use SAN storage for LinAgora services? If so, could you please
>> write more about your hardware and architecture? Is it iSCSI-based or
>> FC? I hope it's not secret ;)
>>

> Hi, we use only local storage at Linagora.
>
> But we do some clients installations over SAN using iSCSI or FC. This
> technologies are well supported by Linux and Cyrus.
>
> In fact, usually Cyrus use Berkeley DB - you can change this at compilation
> time. And Berkeley DB don't like NFS because of lock which are not supported
> over NFS. If you compile Cyrus using only flat or skiplist DB, it may work good
> over NFS, but this kind of database are slowly on big installations.
> Cyrus database kind is a recurrent theme on Cyrus mailing lists. For now, if you
> plan to use Cyrus on RH or Debian, without recompilation, it use berkeley DB, so
> we ban NFS.
>
> Another thing is that NFS is slowly than iSCSI or FC...
>
> Anthony

Hello Anthony!

Thanks a lot for the valuable details! There will be very helpful for me.

So, I can see now that I need to use SAN for our mail system.

We use Debian, but rebuilding and pinning packages is not a big problem
for me. I was doing similar things a few times before.

Have a nice day,

Pawel