[Obm] Storage type for big system

Anthony Prades anthony.prades at obm.org
Thu Jun 3 18:50:34 CEST 2010

Paweł Tęcza wrote:
> Dnia 2010-06-02, śro o godzinie 17:57 +0200, BAUDRACCO Pierre pisze:
>> SAN is recommended.
>> NFS is to be banned
>
> Hi Pierre,
>
> Thank you very much for your response!
>
> Do you use SAN storage for LinAgora services? If so, could you please
> write more about your hardware and architecture? Is it iSCSI-based or
> FC? I hope it's not secret ;)

Hi, we use only local storage at Linagora.

But we do some clients installations over SAN using iSCSI or FC. This
technologies are well supported by Linux and Cyrus.

In fact, usually Cyrus use Berkeley DB - you can change this at compilation
time. And Berkeley DB don't like NFS because of lock which are not supported
over NFS. If you compile Cyrus using only flat or skiplist DB, it may work good
over NFS, but this kind of database are slowly on big installations.
Cyrus database kind is a recurrent theme on Cyrus mailing lists. For now, if you
plan to use Cyrus on RH or Debian, without recompilation, it use berkeley DB, so
we ban NFS.

Another thing is that NFS is slowly than iSCSI or FC...

Anthony