[Obm] Too many problems

Pierre Baudracco pierre.baudracco@aliacom.fr
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 00:05:03 +0100

> From the demo, OBM looks like a pretty good application but, after
> trying to install it, on a shared server, for a week and a half, I
> give up.
>
> FWIW, I found the installation much too difficult and that after
> having installed several hundred scripts. This is the only script, of
> this type, I've seen that requires editing 'php.ini', directly;
> something most people, on shared servers, aren't able to do.
> The documentation is confusing and/or incomplete. Support is limited in
> that, while Pierre did respond to my first few messages, I still
> haven't seen a step by step guide to installing on a shared server and
> the instructions provided haven't worked either for me or the server
> admin.
>
> Fortunately, I found vtigerCRM, based on SugarCRM, which seems to have
> all the features I need and I was able to install, in less than ten
> minutes.

Choice is a good thing !

OBM is not a point and click install soft, sorry.
But with a minimum Apache and PHP knowledge, it can take 10 minutes to install.
Install documentation is correct and permit more than 1000 downloads a month
with few install returns.
We will nevertheless try to make install easier.
OBM is open source so your are welcome to start a dedicated "share server
install guide", but this has nothing really special (use php -d in install
script, configure your document root in a writable location if your have not
root access)

You can install obm without editing php.ini but it requires PHP configuration
knowledge.

by the way, Your install was working, you had just a path problem to images (the
image alias or the $cgp_host definition in your conf, just a correct url to
give)

--
Pierre Baudracco - Aliacom - 05 62 19 24 91 - www.aliacom.fr