[Obm] new country features

Pierre Baudracco pierre.baudracco@aliacom.fr
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:44:05 +0200

> Hi,
>
> I have upgraded from OBM 0.8.5 to 0.8.7 (a bit late, but that system is in
> production)
>
> There is a major change though: now a given user can only work with
> countries that have the same language as he has! If your language preference
> is french, you will only see french speaking countries in the various
> drop-down lists (creation, modification).
>
> Worse! Say I have a US company and my user setting is french. Well if I
> display the company details, the country name is not displayed! Change your
> setting to english, and it is now displayed.
>
> Of course, all this is a bug. Please revert to the previous behaviour: a
> user should be able to view all countries.

Hi,

No this is not a bug but the new and better behavior !
I explain : The lang field in country table does not mean the lang spoken in the
country but the lang in which the country name is filled.
So if you use only french (eg: your users are all french) each entry should have
 "FR" in the lang field.
A country is identified by its iso code and no more from an id (which has been
removed)

So now you will have entries like
Italie - FR
Italia - IT
Italy - EN
which all refer to the same country (iso).
This allows users to have country name in their speaking language, but more
this will allow to import data and match the correct Country even if the import
data set is not in your current language...
Imagine that you will want to import data from an english source...
As it was, you couldn't have matched the countries.

The import module will appear in its initial form in OBM 0.9.0

hopes this helps
--
Pierre Baudracco - Aliacom - 05 62 19 24 91 - www.aliacom.fr