[Obm] db fields restrictions

François Bachelier info at ihes.fr
Mon Jan 17 13:08:31 CET 2011

Hello all,

   I am currently trying to import a whole lot of contacts (~7000)
directly in the OBM database to create people / society and their
relationship all at once. But there are  annoying restrictions on some
fields that put me into trouble :

   contact "fonction" in french : "position" in english ? : 50 char max
   contact "service" in french : "departement" in english ? : idem
   society name : 50 chars max too.

   we have many contacts that cant fit in such restrictions, a typical
example is the position of some administrative  / political guy :

      "Secrétaire général exécutif du Service européen d'action extérieure"

      i have many examples of all nationality people / society  where
one of those 3 restrictions  occur.

      I m thinking to hack the postgres db and extend the capacity of
those fields but i m unsure of what will happend when i ll update /
upgrade OBM if i do that ?
Or maybe is there any chance that those fields get extended in a near
future ?

best regards,

François Bachelier