[Obm] Noob questions

BAUDRACCO Pierre pierre.baudracco at aliasource.fr
Wed Feb 24 22:00:53 CET 2010

> I’ve just downloaded and installed OBM after
> evaluating a number of groupware systems and so far it looks promising, thank
> you for providing the software it’s much appreciated.
>
> Environment: Ubuntu 9.04, OBM 2.3.2
>
> I’m a bit confused and I’m trying to get my mind
> around how OBM works in relation to a couple of things:
>
> 1. If I want to set up a new shared calendar for our company
> (made up of a number of divisions) is it best to create a single domain (e.g.
> company.abc). To group users by division would I simply create a group for each
> division and assign the users to these groups as we would like to have access
> to all users across divisions?

Yes a single domain. You can't share or access to data in others domains
Yes for groups mapping to divisions

> 2. In my tests I’ve done this but for some reason when
> I create a new appointment (or meeting) and I go to the “Attendees”
> section, if I select “Users” as my source none of the users that I
> created shows up. The only way I could get one to show up in this search is to
> login and change the access rights of the users to include myself, once I did
> this I was able to see the other user but no-one else?? I would like to be able
> to invite anyone in the organisation to a meeting so would like to see all
> users.

To be able to invite anyone, for each user set the "access" right to public
You can set rights to groups too

> 3.  Our company has standardised on using Outlook as
> our email client. I would like to use OBM as our groupware calendar so would
> like the ability to sync with Outlook and mobile devices. From what I’ve
> seen I can do this via the OBM sync server. Using funambol I can sync mobile
> devices (does this allow iPhone sync?) and do Outlook sync via OBM Outlook, is
> this correct? Is the OBM Outlook connector free and available as part of the
> OBM Sync server download? If not how can I get it and what is the cost?

OBM Sync server provides SyncML and ActiveSync (via opush) connectivity.
We do not recommend funambol. You can sync the iphone natively through opush.
The obm-outlook connector is not free (the only proprietary part on an obm installation)
The price depends on the quantity. You will receive an email from one of our sales persons

> 4. When trying to add new contacts I get a message
> “Indexing server connection error” do I need to install a text
> indexer of some sort, can you point me in the right direction?

check the install is correct, especially the solr parts

Bye
Pierre